Table of Contents
Use the video hosting portal of Jade University for videos larger than 256MB. Smaller videos can be uploaded and embedded directly in moodle. When doing so, load videos in high quality; the video hosting portal automatically calculates suitable delivery formats.
Include videos in Moodle via video hosting
1. read the notes on video hosting. Ask moodlesupport to enable you.
In the text editor, use the icon “Insert or edit audio/video file” to upload and embed videos for teaching.
- Select “Create material or activity” and a “Text field” “Add”.
- Click on the icon “Insert or edit audio/video file”.
- In the tab “Link” (1) click on “Select file” (2).
- Log in to the video portal: Button “Log in with your user account” (university access data, SSO procedure).
- To upload videos, select: “movingimage Video Upload” (the upload may take some time).
- To embed your videos, select: “movingimage Video Picker”.
- Confirm with “Insert media” and “Save and go to course”.
Supported video formats
The VideoManager supports all common video formats when uploading:
Delete videos from the video portal
Uploaded videos are marked for deletion (i.e. moved to the “recycle bin”) after 6 months and finally deleted after 30 days.
This setting can be overridden by users.
Please delete videos that are no longer needed from the video portal promptly. Videos used by semester can remain.
- In the file selection, use the cogwheel to switch to the movingimage interface (“VideomanagerPro”). Select your channel and the file. Depending on the system load, this may take a moment.
- Delete the file by clicking on the bin at the top of the screen or.
- In the “Security” section of a video, overwrite the entry “Delete video time-controlled”.
Minimum requirements for good video quality
If video hosting is used, the video should be uploaded in the highest possible quality.
The hosting platform automatically converts for delivery to end devices.
For uploading videos it is recommended:
- Video codec: H.264, profile: “High” or at least “Extended”.
- *Resolution: 1280 x 720 (HDready, 720p), or if HD is not available: 1024 x 576 (PAL 16:9) or 768 x 576 (PAL 4:3) * Video bit rate: 5,000 to 8,000 Kbit/s * Audio bit rate: 320 Kbit/s, stereo, 44.1 KHz * 2-pass conversion * Maximum file size**: 25 GB
The above optimal settings apply to videos streamed on the Internet and automatically converted to standard formats after uploading. See also movingimage, as of 17.3.2020